List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Hello Everyone!
From:       Leo Spalteholz <leo.spalteholz () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-06-27 16:10:44

On 6/27/05, John Tapsell <john@geola.co.uk> wrote:
> > My google project proposal was to write an accessibility application
> > that allows a user to control their computer using only mouse movement
> > (no clicking).  This type of scenario often arrises when a user is
> > using a head mouse or eye tracking system as a HCI device and I've
> > found that existing software (for any platform) is clumsy, immature,
> > and ugly.
>
> Have you looked at dasher?  While it could be cleaned up, the basic idea,
> imho, is most excellent for typing.  Maybe this could be tied in?

Yes I've considered the idea.  I don't think it fit's into my design,
since with the concept of translucent overlays, you have to very
careful to make sure that the interface you are overlaying onto the
users desktop is not too complex.  Ideally, the overlaid interface
should not require much text, such that choices can be made based on
colour.
With respect to Dasher, I think it's a good idea, but it is much more
well suited to a head mouse type device than to an eyetracker.  I
found that using Dasher with an eye tracker was extremely tiresome.
To determine where I wanted to go, I was scanning the letters with my
eyes, which of course made Dasher go all over the place.  Also, I
found that the constant moving of letters just made me nervous.  I
think dasher is excellent if one is able to look and move the mouse
pointer separately.

> I know you don't have that much time for the project, but it might be
> interesting to start with doing some mockups of what you want to do so we can
> comment on them and hopefully give constructive critism :)

I wrote a prototype of this application that runs on MS Windows.  It
is very hacked together and uses MFC (ugh) but it works reasonably
well.  I had some links to screenshots in my proposal, which can be
found here:
http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~lspalteh/soc.txt

Cheers,
Leo