List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: obex project for kde
From:       Fred Schaettgen <kde.sch () ttgen ! net>
Date:       2005-06-10 17:10:18

On Friday, 10. June 2005 17:00, Simone Gotti wrote:
> In kdebluetooth we made various obex programs. Some programs uses libkobex
> (a wrapper around libopenobex) others like the kio_obex (imho the unique
> working graphical obex ftp for linux that I know) uses liqobex (a great, at
> least for me :D, library made by Mathias Fröhlich, as kio_obex).
>
> By now some programs works with both cable, irda and bluetooth and I
> already adapted others (the obex client and the obex server) to work with
> all the type of transports supported, dropping the deps on openobex and
> only using libqobex.
>
> As all the obex stuffs aren't only bluetooth related I talked with the
> other kdebluetooth developers and my idea was to take them out and create a
> new projects (an idea is something like "obeks" :D ).
> As I have a lot of new stuffs on my pc I'm asking if I can open this new
> project (maybe in kdenonbeta) so others can test and enjoy it.

Would it be sufficient to have a libqobex and libkbluetooth in extragear/libs,
leave the obex tools in extragear/pim and move the rest of kdebluetooth to
extragear/network? Or isn't this a option because you want to use it in
KDE/kdepim for instance?

It would be good if we can do without forking libkbluetooth. The obex tools
also shouldn't have to move from to playground just because they support new
transports. Or what exactly do you want to move to playground?

Regarding the naming of the obex tools - why don't we simply occupy the
generic names and call it "OBEX Client" and "OBEX Server" or similar? We
don't have much competition in or outside of KDE anyway ;)

Fred

--
Fred Schaettgen
kde.sch@ttgen.net