List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: 3.4's defaults
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-03 16:25:20

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 01 May 2005 05:53, Marc Espie wrote:
> I'm not sure organizing stuff per-app is a good idea. From a user
> perspective, grouping stuff as `data that accumulates'
> (bookmarks, cookies, exceptional behavior on sites, non-default font
> setup, mail stuff) and `real stupid config stuff that you get in the
> panel'   would be a real user enhancement...

my plan at this point is to divide things up into three broad categories:

Settings
Email and Contacts
Personal Data

the user should be able to select any one of those three and back them up or
restore them. individual applications should be able to install a small file
that describes their resources into one of those three categories.

the user can then go in and do more fine-grained control of what will be
backed up or restored if they wish, but they shouldn't need to. i see this
primarily of use for when someone's panel settings or font settings get all
screwed up and they want to just restore those, for instance.

the reason i'm spliting email and contacts out of the rest of personal data is
de to the potential size and sensitivity of that information.

this is all subject to change depending on the weather, of course. input
welcome.

--
Aaron J. Seigo