List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: 3.4's defaults
From:       Jakob Petsovits <jpetso () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-04-28 12:54:09

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 11:29, David Faure wrote:
> Why not just "move .kde/share/config out of the way" when you want to
> simply restart with a clean new-user config? The rest is (supposedly) user
> data.

I think the point is that there is configuration that users want to keep and
configuration that they don't want to keep. Maybe you didn't ever delete your
configuration, but I know that there are countless people who do so.

So, say, it's a good thing to keep configuration like email, IM or modem
dialin accounts, but I want Konqueror to have the new Toolbar layout without
copy/cut/paste instead of my cluttered, customized current layout.
Or I want to reset the KMenu layout (which is easy to break, as far as I'm
concerned) to the default entries and sorting.

Would it be a good idea to integrate "restore default values" stuff into the
application user interfaces? I think of things like a restore default button
inside the toolbar configuration dialog, or inside the Konqueror profile
dialog, or something defined by the application itself. I also think K3b does
a great job in this respect.

If restoring default configuration values were accessible through the user
interface and split up into applications and value categories instead of
being one big config/ directory, I guess that less people would see the need
for deleting all the configuration data.

Just my 2 cents - regards,
  Jakob