List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: 3.4's defaults
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-28 13:03:16

On Thursday 28 April 2005 14:54, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 April 2005 11:29, David Faure wrote:
> > Why not just "move .kde/share/config out of the way" when you want to
> > simply restart with a clean new-user config? The rest is (supposedly) user
> > data.
>
> I think the point is that there is configuration that users want to keep and
> configuration that they don't want to keep.

Yes, and no amount of moving stuff around will ever cope with the fact that
different people have different needs, BTW.

> So, say, it's a good thing to keep configuration like email, IM or modem
> dialin accounts, but I want Konqueror to have the new Toolbar layout without
> copy/cut/paste instead of my cluttered, customized current layout.
Well any new konq version will have an bigger version number in its .rc file
and will discard your own anyway, but some might consider that a bug :)

I agree that kedittoolbar should have a "reset to default" button.

> Or I want to reset the KMenu layout (which is easy to break, as far as I'm
> concerned) to the default entries and sorting.
Sounds like a kmenuedit feature request to me.

> If restoring default configuration values were accessible through the user
> interface and split up into applications and value categories instead of
> being one big config/ directory, I guess that less people would see the need
> for deleting all the configuration data.
I see a contradiction. If the GUI does it, the file-system layout doesn't matter.