List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts on the systray II.
From:       LiuCougar <liucougar () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-04-18 23:40:20

On 4/18/05, Fred Schaettgen <kde.sch@ttgen.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 19. April 2005 00:34, LiuCougar wrote:
> > On 4/18/05, Fred Schaettgen <kde.sch@ttgen.net> wrote:
> > > This way the state indicator and the taskbar item for an application
> > > would stay at the same place. Also taskbar items display various
> > > application states already (application is running, currently open file
> > > is ...), so having a separate state indicator area would make sense only
> > > for states which don't correspond to anything we can show a window for -
> > > and I can't imagine what that could be.
> >
> > Skim is such an application which does not have a corresponding
> > taskbar entry, simply because under no OSes, an inputmethod should
> > occupy a place in the taskbar. However, skim does require notification
> > capabilities. Currently, it is implemented by a system tray and
> > another dedicated kicker applet.
>
> "Because no OS should do it" doesn't sound really convincing ;) Why not?
> I guess you use the system tray primarily because a) it doesn't waste a lot of
> space and b) because you can have a custom RMB menu. If kicker could do the
> same for any taskbar entry, then what reasons would be left to still use the
> system tray? *Currently* you don't really have a choice, sure.
You may be right that "it doesn't sound convincing". However, that is
the current status of Windows (all versions) and Mac OS (at least X).
And for all native speakers whose lanaguages require input methods, it
is really annoying to have a taskbar entry for an input method: the
inputmethod should be started when you login into your KDE session and
stay there until you logout.

If possible, you can ask some of your friends who use input methods:
are they expect the input method has a taskbar entry?

IMO, all of them would say no, given that they are native speakers of
that language.

Regards,
Cougar

- Old Chinese adage