List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts on the systray II.
From:       Fred Schaettgen <kde.sch () ttgen ! net>
Date:       2005-04-18 23:24:09

On Tuesday, 19. April 2005 00:34, LiuCougar wrote:
> On 4/18/05, Fred Schaettgen <kde.sch@ttgen.net> wrote:
> > This way the state indicator and the taskbar item for an application
> > would stay at the same place. Also taskbar items display various
> > application states already (application is running, currently open file
> > is ...), so having a separate state indicator area would make sense only
> > for states which don't correspond to anything we can show a window for -
> > and I can't imagine what that could be.
>
> Skim is such an application which does not have a corresponding
> taskbar entry, simply because under no OSes, an inputmethod should
> occupy a place in the taskbar. However, skim does require notification
> capabilities. Currently, it is implemented by a system tray and
> another dedicated kicker applet.

"Because no OS should do it" doesn't sound really convincing ;) Why not?
I guess you use the system tray primarily because a) it doesn't waste a lot of
space and b) because you can have a custom RMB menu. If kicker could do the
same for any taskbar entry, then what reasons would be left to still use the
system tray? *Currently* you don't really have a choice, sure.

Fred

--
Fred Schaettgen
kde.sch@ttgen.net