List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kio-locate
From:       Fred Schaettgen <kde.sch () ttgen ! net>
Date:       2005-04-13 11:40:32

On Tuesday, 12. April 2005 08:50, Armin Straub wrote:
> As I am continuously asked to ask for inclusion to KDE, I hereby do exactly
> this :-) Do you want kio-locate to be included to KDE? (something like
> kde-extragear, as locate is not configured properly on a standard system)

That reason that people keep asking you to include it into KDE only means that
they are missing something in KDE, but not that kio-locate is necessarily the
best solution of their problem ;)
As the author of a third party application, a kioslave was the only viable
option for you to deeply integrate a search function in KDE. But if the code
enters KDE, then why not integrate the same functionality in a more sane way?
I'm not sure if I know all possible uses of kio-locate, but wasn't the main
idea just have a search function, which can also be used from inside file
dialogs? If this is the case, then the kioslave interface for locate is just
a very crippled _user interface_.
Wouldn't it be better to work on some hooks for the file dialog, so that
search tools can be plugged in, which bring their own interface? You would
gain a lot of flexibility, just think about the file counts, which are shown
as part of the file name currently, or the name coloring which was requested
on kde-apps.org. With a kioslave this will always remain somewhat ugly.
I really don't want to take down kio-locate - you know I'm using it myself :)
What I wanted to say is that in KDE you have the chance to remove limitations
instead of working around them.

Fred

--
Fred Schaettgen