List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror & Java Problem with some sites i.e
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-03-30 13:36:48

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 09:49, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Herbert S wrote:
> > Hello people out there,
> >
> > excuse me, this is my 1st participation at a mailling list. Maybe
> > this question is wrong in this list - but I feel free to post my
> > problem which teases me for quite a long time.
>
> Probably a question for the "kde-linux" list.

No, happens on FreeBSD as well. I can confirm this Bug with:
FreeBSD 5
KDE 3.4.0 / Qt-copy 3.3.4
JDK 1.4.2-p7

FreeBSD is fully updated from last week.

note: this bug was also in earlier versions of KDE (like 3.3).

The problem is exactly the same as described by Herbert.

> > I am using Debian sarge (updated from Woody) since about 5
> > months.
> >
> > Actually my configuration (concerning the problem):
> >
> > KDE 3.3.2
> >
> > Konqueror 3.3.2
> >
> > Sun Java J2RE_1.4.2_06
> >
> > (configured to use in Konqueror-Settings; also stating the
> > Java-Plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugin --> a softlink from the
> > Sun_Java Plugin ../i386/ns4//libjavaplugin.so)
>
> That would appear to be wrong.  You do not use the Java-Plugin for
> KDE and Mozilla or Firefox would require the other plugin -- NOT
> the NS4 plugin.  Did you set the: "Path to java executable" in the
> Konqueror KCM?
>
> > Now the problem:
> >
> > Calling http://www.netbanking.at shows the correct web-site.
> >
> > At the top-left corner under ("Verfüger anmelden") I am able to
> > enter my <username> ("Verfüger") and my <password> ("Passwort").
> >
> > This section seems to be a java-applet
> >
> > (I guess this because - only sometimes - in Konqueror in the
> > bottom line there appears a notice: Java Check applet started AND
> > Login-applet started ! But sometimes this info-notice disappears
> > after 1 second and only the notice: site loaded ("Seite geladen")
> > is shown)
> >
> > Now if I enter my username & password I am not logged into this
> > site
> >
> > BUT the site is reloaded WITH the Header-Info of this site
> > duplicated !
> >
> > (the header containing: ERSTE SPARKASSE banking @netbanking)
> >
> > NOTE:
> >
> > But if I try to login to my home-bank account from another site
> > (this time the
> >
> > site of my regional banking-institute)
> >
> > http://www.sparkasse.at/pregarten/home
> >
> > also in the upper-left corner of the site there is a
> > login-possibility
> >
> > (although the display of THIS java-applet (!??) seems not te be
> > correct in all details) THERE is NO Problem for login !!
> >
> > NOTE 2:
> >
> > Login in site http://www.netbanking.at
> >
> > with Mozilla (1.4) or Epiphany IS NO Problem
> >
> > therefore I assume it is no problem with my java_installation
> >
> > but a problem withn konqueror
>
> If you have the path to Java set correctly, it is probably a
> Konqueror issue, but it is more likely that the problem is actually
> with the web site.
>
> > Can anyone say what can be done in here (I like Konqueror and
> > would like to use it also for my home-banking efforts AND I want
> > help the KDE-Team with information about this problem - maybe
> > other sites will not work correct !)
>
> I suggest that you run the Java Console and see if it finds errors
> in the Java code.

No further output / exceptions here (with correct JAVA_HOME and PATH
environment variables).

> It is also possible (perhaps more likely) that the site uses ECMA
> script (commonly called Java Script) and that could also be a
> problem.
>
> In both cases, there is an unfortunate situation: M$ has made
> unauthorized extensions to both Java and ECMA script.  Sun calls
> such extensions to Java: Polluted Java.  In both cases, the actual
> problem is that a site does not conform to published standards.
> Mozilla has more experience with such problems and, therefore,
> there is probably a better chance that it will work.

Possibly, would be a shame for "Sparkasse" to do that... maybe we (at
least Herbert and I??) should contact them and tell them it doesn't
work in Konqueror and they are possibly using non-standard extensions
(so they should check and TEST against Konqueror).

Oh... by the way, it used to work on SuSE 9.1 WITH Konqueror (haven't
tested later versions).

Besides: the login applet itself is really a Java Applet, but it's
possible that part of the page uses JavaScript (haven't looked into
that, and I'm far from being a webdeveloper).

Regards,
Raphael