List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Allow money donations for precise bugs
From:       Miles Stevenson <miles () mstevenson ! org>
Date:       2005-03-14 20:37:31

On Monday 14 March 2005 11:24 am, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> If they *really* were to go away, they would be a minority of very fanatic,
> or very antidemocratic, or very stupid, people. So, IMHO, it would be
> better to loose them.

Perhaps we should scale down the name calling and attempt a more constructive
conversation of this issue.

From what I understand, many KDE developers (I am not one of them) are against
trading money for features/bugfixes because they feel that KDE will become a
"user-centric" desktop, meaning that they will have to start producing what
the users want instead of what the developers want.

On the surface, this seems reasonable. It is generally assumed that users
(meaning users without any software development or design experience) want
useless features because they don't know what works best, while developers
want the "right" features, whatever that is.

I think that there are potentially a lot of problems with this assumption. One
of them would be clumping the majority of KDE users into the same category as
Windows users as far as computer and software literacy are concerned. I have
a sneaking suspicion that in reality, the majority of KDE users are in fact
programmers, designers, engineers, and scientists. After all, Linux still has
it's reputation as being the OS for geeks instead of the general public.

The other problem I see is an assumption that there is some kind of rift
between the interests of KDE users and KDE developers as far what KDE should
be. I just don't see that. In fact, I think most KDE users are attracted to
KDE because they want the same thing the developers want, a KDE that is
customizable, integrated, powerful, and flexible.

If the goal of KDE is to be a digital playground for developers to try new
things and write whatever they fancy, then that is fine. There is nothing
wrong with that, and I would be amazed at how nice of a desktop KDE is if
that were the main goal of the project.

But if the goal is to be a *viable* alternative to other desktops such as
Windows, OS X, and Gnome (meaning desktop users would prefer KDE over other
desktops),  then a developer-centric model doesn't make sense. It is
illogical to compete with other desktops by ignoring the interests of your
users.

Furthermore, I don't think the proponents of a donation system (myself
included) want to take away developer freedom, or even make donation money
the only motivation for KDE developers. I believe the idea is to give users
the ability to proposition a developer and say "Hey, I'd really like to see
this feature. If you want to make an extra $50 tonight instead of going to
the movies, then I'm willing to pay you." There is no freedom being taken
away from a developer here. If said developer would rather work on something
of his own instead of getting paid to work on something else, then he is not
being denied the freedom to do so.

The very simple fact, is that giving developers the *choice* to work on what
they want, or to get paid and work on what someone else wants, does not take
away any freedom. Giving a developer more choice in no way disrupts their
freedom.

Saying that "There exists freedoms which are removing or reducing other
freedoms. And this definitely is one of them. [sic]" might sound like some
kind of mystical wisdom, but just doesn't make any reasonable sense.

I submit that we should at least use reason here and recognize that giving
additional opportunities for KDE developers to get paid for writing code
doesn't "remove" or "reduce" the freedom for developers to not take part in
it in any way, shape, or form.

--
Miles Stevenson
Email: miles@mstevenson.org