List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Allow money donations for precise bugs
From:       Heiner Lamprecht <heiner () heiner-lamprecht ! net>
Date:       2005-03-14 20:43:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 14 March 2005 20:24, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> Heiner Lamprecht wrote:
> > > Of course, but this is only true for the *current* developer
> > > community! But with the proposed feature, the community would
> > > grow and gain new elements who do have that motivation. Today,
> > > they keep themselves outside of KDE, obviously.
> >
> > So you assume, that those developing today will stay even if
> > this donate-for-feature-system will be established.
>
> If they *really* were to go away, they would be a minority of
> very fanatic, or very antidemocratic, or very stupid, people. So,
> IMHO, it would be better to loose them.

That has nothing to do with fanaticism or stupidity.

I have a lot of experiences in several initiatives.  and I can tell
you that you allways stuck into deep problems when it comes to
money given to single persons instead of the whole group.

> But, of course, I don't *really* believe they will go away, as
> they will realize they can continue to do the *same* things they
> have been doing until now: work for free and under their own
> guidance.

I fear, a lot of people will loose their IMHO biggest motivation:
Fun.  And when you read through this thread, you might notice that.

Maybe this will not happen with a big bang.  But slightly, they will
look for alternatives.

You made a suggestion how to improve KDE.  Everybody on this list
appreciates such ideas.  But unfortunately, many people see a a lot
of problems realizing your idea.

    Heiner

--
    heiner at heiner-lamprecht dot net    GnuPG - Key: 9859E373
  Fingerprint:  3770 7947 F917 94EF 8717 BADB 0139 7554 9859 E373