List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: to Xinerama or not Xinerama -that- is the Question
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-15 21:21:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On February 15, 2005 14:21, Linus McCabe wrote:
> Personally, I'd like to use a mixture of xinerama and dual x sessions.
> Ie, Id like to be able to drag windows between the monitors, but i wish the
> virtual desktops were individual, so i could have one desktop on one
> monitor, while switching to another desktop on the other one.

ug. that'd be ugly to implement. really ugly, if even at all really possible
given that the mechanics of this is pretty much hidden by X. but Lubos Lunak
would know more about it. and even if kwin could get it working, pagers and
whatnot that operate under the assumption of "same desktop" would likely
break.

> That said, i cant use xinerama. I have to use nvidias version of it
> (twinview) as xinerama gives me significantly worse performance...

i'm using twinview myself right now. it's actually Xinerama, just NVidia's
implementation of it. it looks like, acts like and works like Xinerama for
all intents and purposes, except it doesn't suck. i like getting 1700FPS from
fullscreen 1152x864 glxgears in Xinerama, thank you very much ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric