List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Questions about splitting kdebase into a plethora of packages
From:       Francisco Hidalgo Sola <ranmakun () arnet ! com ! ar>
Date:       2005-02-11 2:27:24

El Jue 10 Feb 2005 22:59, Lokheed escribió:
> How do so many people fail to see the problem with this. First they are
> called meta ebuilds. Second the problem lies when you have 300+ packages
> and want say 127 out of them. If you cant use a meta ebuild, then you
> HAVE to get 300+. If you dont, then you are stuck putting in EACH
> individual ebuild one by one if they do not have any dependencies set.
>
> Do you think it would be fun to put in 127 ebuilds by hand? Then it
> comes to the problem of what if I dont want everything from kdebase,
> again I will break the meta ebuild and have to put in everything by
> hand, one by one. How does no one see the problem with this?

Decide yourself man, you're saying that you don't like split ebuilds, why
would you use them then?, you like the entire kde as before?, just emerge
kde-meta, thats all, one ebuild, as before. You want the independent previous
ebuilds?, just emerge kdebase-meta, kdegraphics-meta, etc etc, just a change
of it's name, I really don't understand your problem.
I, like you, feel that split ebuilds are too complicated, I've test them and
someone had to tell me that if I wanted to look at a man page I had to emerge
kioslaves, I didn't even knew what a kioslave is, so I would have never find
that out. I just now realized that if I wanted kwrite I needed to emerge
kate, who would have though that?. But my point is, that although I don't
like it and I feel it's too much trouble for me right now, why wouldn't I let
others enjoy this feature?, I will just keep emerging kde-meta and thats all,
maybe it will take some more time to emerge, I really don't care, 12 hours or
14 or 16, it's the same, I'm used to it, like every gentoo user I guess...