List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Questions about splitting kdebase into a plethora of packages
From:       Malte =?iso-8859-1?q?B=F6hme?= <malte.boehme () rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2005-02-11 2:58:47

Am Freitag 11 Februar 2005 02:59 schrieb Lokheed:
> How do so many people fail to see the problem with this. First they are
> called meta ebuilds. Second the problem lies when you have 300+ packages
> and want say 127 out of them. If you cant use a meta ebuild, then you
> HAVE to get 300+. If you dont, then you are stuck putting in EACH
> individual ebuild one by one if they do not have any dependencies set.
I guess you have a problem here.
First you say that having a meta or oldschool ebuild is stupid because you
dont have fine-grained control of what you install and then you argue that is
is stupid to have no meta-ebuild because you dont want to specify 300+ (or
127) ebuilds to emerge.
maybe its to late here in germany but i dont get your point.

> Do you think it would be fun to put in 127 ebuilds by hand? Then it
> comes to the problem of what if I dont want everything from kdebase,
> again I will break the meta ebuild and have to put in everything by
> hand, one by one. How does no one see the problem with this?

> Then another problem lies with what kind of meta ebuild will you be
> doing? Are there going to be crippled releases such as the atrocious
> gnome-light? Where will the line be?
Let me guess: No matter where the line would be, you still would complain,
right?

> Gentoo's power is USE flags. It would have been simple to release a meta
> ebuild for kdebase, kdemultimedia, kdeutils, kdegraphics, and so one
> with USE flags that govern what gets installed.
>
> Then you will only need ONE ebuild for kdebase and so on. This way, a
> user can set the use flags via /etc/portage/package.use and you ONLY get
> what you want and you wont have to support 300+ ebuilds. Does that not
> make sense? It is completely within the means of the Gentoo devs to
> handle it this way and then you wont have breakage since you can set all
> USE flags by default and have the user remove them if they choose too.
> This is how it SHOULD have been done.
>
> Granted you have ebuilds that will hold an extreme amount of USE flags
> but it certainly beats what they hav done now. How is this NOT a good idea?
Where is the difference between having a huge amount of use-flags or a huge
amount of ebuilds?

> My comments seem to have gone above your head as well because they
> already have a meta ebuild for all of kde but it contains more than just
> kdebase, which means its useless if you dont want ALL of kde. How many
> times do I have to say this??? I feel like I am the last sane man here.
> Am I saying it incorrectly? Why cant people see the problem with meta
> ebuilds?
you could just emerge kdebase instead of kde and end up with only kdebase (+
deps).

maldn

p.s. this thread is quite a funny reading at 4am when you cant sleep :)