List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2005-02-10 15:43:18

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 6:32 pm, Dennie Bastiaan wrote:
> I should say that I thought about that and you are actually right. But I
> were affraid of KDE-developers putting effort in porting KDE completely to
> windows. As if it was part of a KDE-roadmap. Porting kdelibs only should
> enable KDE applications on windows, instead of completely replacing the
> explorer-shell. And I admit, I aggree that that's a good thing. ;-)

Definitly "Porting to Windows' shoul not be on the 4.0 roadmap.
But what *should* be on the 4.0 roadmap, is removing any assumtions in KDE
based on a given platform. This includes dependancies on X, on certain files
in certain locations, etc. Anything like this should be abstracted into
interfaces that could be re-implimented for another platform. This will help
not only with win32 ports, but also ports to DirectFB, QNX, or other "weird"
systems.

--
If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by.