List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Paul Temple <paul.temple () gmx ! net>
Date:       2005-02-10 15:01:46

> Well, as long as they don't go to an Apple store, or buy a
> mini computer, or want to buy the current top-o-the-line
> Sparc, or an Itanium I... or 2..
>
> So basically you want to be able to search the net, compare
> systems configured to run specifically run windows, choose one
> you like, and then wonder why Linux does not support
> everything on the system you bought?
>
> If you want to run OSX you have to pay attention to what OSX
> runs... if you want to run Windows you have to pay attention
> to what Windows supports (admittedly the majority of system
> are focused on this platform).. if you want to run Solaris you
> have to pay attention to what Solaris will run... thats just
> life.

(this is as OT as much of the "QT discussion", so I again dare to
answer...)

I'm talking about personal computers, and there _is_ a big
difference between windows and linux when it comes to freedom of
choice.
The number of available systems for apple is even smaller, so I
don't want to compare it with apple users' situation. Don't you
think that windows users have a much wider choice of pc systems
than linux, especially notebooks? That's what I tried to
explain.
And that's one important point in the "QT/KDE/Linux on the
desktop" diskussion - and for me personally.