List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdelibs3 and IPV6
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-02-10 8:59:43

On 09.Feb 2005 - 19:22:39, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> >Hi,
>
> Hello. Here in the KDE lists, please mention the version you have. Since
> KDE 4 doesn't exist, I must assume that "kdelibs4" is the name Debian
> gave for kdelibs 3.x.

Sorry, I'm using kde 3.3.2, debian unstable packages.

> >before reporting a bug, I'd like to ask the kde-developers if this is
> >intended behaviour: My kdelibs4 (from Debian package, configured with
> >--with-ipv6=auto, IIRC) starts dns resolution for ipv6 ip's even if I
> >disabled IPv6 in the kernel and the hosts have an IPv4 defined in
> >/etc/hosts. So is this OK? Or is a Bug-report apropriate?
>
> The feature was removed in KDE 3.3,

Not in the debian packages, at least not on my computer :-( I had this
same problem with kde 3.3.1

> In other words, there was no use in allowing a choice in the matter: if
> you don't have IPv6, the resolution is not needed. If you do, then you
> probably want the resolution.
>
> The only case left is those users who don't want IPv6 but have it enabled
> nonetheless.

So does kdelibs (I don't know which part is responsible for this)
check if ipv6 is enabled only on configure time or also at runtime?

For Distribution-Packages it needs to be runtime, because the
distribution mainatiner can of course not check wether the users have
IPv6 enabled or not.

Andreas

--
Afternoon very favorable for romance.  Try a single person for a change.