List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Dennie Bastiaan <morphie () unravel-music ! nl>
Date:       2005-02-09 22:32:52

On Tuesday 08 February 2005 05:21, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 February 2005 8:24 am, Dennie Bastiaan wrote:
> > I think that the focus of KDE shouldn't be porting it to windows.
>
> What about kdelibs?  If KDE doesn't supply/have an official kdelibs for
> windows third party open source kde application will most likely remove
> their kde abilities and become Qt only so that they can work on windows to
> increase their user base.

I should say that I thought about that and you are actually right. But I were
affraid of KDE-developers putting effort in porting KDE completely to
windows. As if it was part of a KDE-roadmap. Porting kdelibs only should
enable KDE applications on windows, instead of completely replacing the
explorer-shell. And I admit, I aggree that that's a good thing. ;-)

> > If KDE on windows wasn't one of KDE's main goals, than leave it like that
> > and don't let a GPL'ed Qt change that. :)
>
> Yes, so our goal isn't to port KDE to windows, but I do think it would be a
> good thing to release kdelibs for windows for both open source and
> commercial Qt developers.

I have one little question: Is kdelibs depended on dcop? Dcop depends X11 and
could be a problem, since windows natively is not X11. ;-)

But then again. QT4 for windows will be GPL'ed, not QT3. With that in mind,
the first kdelibs ported to windows would be kdelibs of KDE4. And by then,
KDE uses D-Bus, right?

Just some brainstorming.

-Dennie