List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Richard Smith <kde () metafoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-02-09 21:18:01

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 04:44, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> While the KDE project should not thwart attempts at making kdelibs run on
> Win32, it is not and it should not become our goal to make it so.
>
> In other words, the KDE project was started to give Unix a desktop
> environment. That's our goal. And that's where I believe our effort
> should be most focused in.

Don't we GPL our code to attract more developers, since their contributions
are good for us? KDE on Win32 would attract even more developers. Wouldn't
that make the KDE project better, even on <OSS kernel of the day>?

If our goal is purely and simply to make a great desktop for Unix systems,
then KDE on Win32 seems to be in our interest. If our goal the drastically
different one of trying to get people to run our great desktop *on* Unix
systems, you could well be right. Is open-source activism part of KDE's
mandate?
--
Thanks,
Richard