List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2005-02-09 9:43:16

> On Tuesday 08 February 2005 8:58 pm, Andrew Coles wrote:
>
>>Whilst I remember: it might mean amending the KDE binary compatability
>>information if it is likely that people might compile KDE using Visual C++*
>>(in which some of the constness is part of the function signatures,
>>changing the rules slightly).  In either case, such an amendment would need
>>marking as not applying pre-4.0.
>>
>>Andrew
>>
>>*    although the GPLed QT 4.0 for Windows won't support the Visual C++
>>tools.
>

> Has anyone else read the license agreement for Visual C++?  It says something
> along the lines: "You can not use it to develop any word/excel product or
> products that will be used on other operating systems."  I can't seem to find
> it right now, but if we are going to talk about licensing/support etc someone
> really should read vc++'s license.

That would be funny. I believe it's not true... otherwise we can see many
organizations like OO.org and companies being sued because of portable
development efforts... Or I didnt undarstand what you mean by "used on other
operating systems" -- "used as binaries on other OSes (eg. via Wine) or
recompiled on other OSes" ?

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska / Kexi Team