List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Bobby <kconfigure () rockerssoft ! com>
Date:       2005-02-09 15:15:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

The fact of the matter is that KDE on Win32 would most likely (in the short
run) be GOOD for KDE.  More users, probably more developers, more bug
reports, etc.. etc..  HOWEVER, KDE on Win32 is almost certainly NOT good for
Linux/BSD.

On Monday 07 February 2005 18:30, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> If the apps on Linux were up to snuff ( or identical -as in the case of
> cross-platform apps like FIrefox, and hopefully soon, KDE ), then the
> people would have no reason to stay on Windows anymore, because Unix has
> the edge in the remaining factors * - cost, security, and stability.

This logic baffles me.  If "cost", 'security", and "stability" were strong
enough catalysts to overcome user angst for leaving what they are used to;
then alternative OSes would have already gained a larger market share.

Half of the people I know have bug ridden computers that NEED to be turned off
every night to even run.  AND THEY DON'T CARE!  All they care about is that
the applications they want to run, will run on the machine they bought.

The simple truth is that we don't have to guess blindly about what will or
will not happen if KDE is ported to Win32, we have an example to look too.
If everything everyone says about "this is so good for OSS" were true then
Mac OSX should have been a windfall for F/OSS.  People would get a chance to
use KDE and then make an easy switch over to Linux/BSD w/ KDE.  Instead the
data shows the opposite has happened... Linux users are switching to Mac OSX
at a much faster rate then Mac users are switching to Linux.  Yes, Linux is
growing at a faster rate than Mac is BUT that growth IS NOT comming from the
Mac platform.

So what you get is authors for popular Linux magazines writing articles about
why they switched to Mac... and what do they say?  "On Mac OSX I get to run
all of my favorite F/OSS applications and all of my non-F/OSS applications.
The best of both worlds."

I agree with Aaron, and (like him) I hope I am wrong.  But I am afraid all we
will have done is give Win32 users "The best of both worlds."

Bobby

--
"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
-George Mason