List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Benjamin Meyer <ben () meyerhome ! net>
Date:       2005-02-09 6:45:25

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 3:46 pm, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Bobby wrote:
> >The fact of the matter is that KDE on Win32 would most likely (in the
> > short run) be GOOD for KDE.  More users, probably more developers, more
> > bug reports, etc.. etc..  HOWEVER, KDE on Win32 is almost certainly NOT
> > good for Linux/BSD.
>
> It will not happen in the short run. The main reasons are:
>
> 1) kdelibs contains A LOT of Unixisms and X11-related stuff. That means
> kdelibs on Cygwin is not so difficult, but making a non-Cygwin (e.g.,
> mingw32 or VC++) would be a lot harder.

So you can't run kwin in windows, but as far as app porting goes the X11 stuff
is pretty ifdef'd out.  i.e. see the native OSX port.

> 2) lack of manpower. While I am sure there will be people willing to work
> on this, will it be enough to keep track of the pace kdelibs evolves?

I think this is the biggest fear that many are making excuses for.  They are
arguing about the port rather then saying: "I don't want to do it".  I know
plenty of people who don't want to do the work.  Talk is cheap.  The people
who do step forward and do the port will get it done while everyone bickers
about if it should or not.  Long term I doubt there will be a problem.
Getting KDE apps on windows will attract plenty of part time windows
developers who also play in Linux.

> 3) KDE4/Qt4 schedules. With Qt4 being released, there is a lot of
> necessary adjustments to make KDE work, at all. And while this is the
> perfect opportunity to adapt to a new platform, I expect the complexity
> of doing to greatly impact on the Unix side.

This really isn't a valid point, again if someone does the work then it will
be done, but you don't want to and that is ok.

-Benjamin Meyer

--
aka icefox
Public Key: http://www.icefox.net/public_key.asc