List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Paulo Moura Guedes <moura () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-02-09 3:57:57

On Monday 07 February 2005 23:21, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 February 2005 8:24 am, Dennie Bastiaan wrote:
> > I think that the focus of KDE shouldn't be porting it to windows.
>
> What about kdelibs?  If KDE doesn't supply/have an official kdelibs for
> windows third party open source kde application will most likely remove
> their kde abilities and become Qt only so that they can work on windows to
> increase their user base.

I think it would be of an extraordinary importance that kdelibs could be
multiplatform. This is already a great strength of Qt and if KDE could manage
to do that, perhaps the C++ comunity would gain a new standard, by having a
free and (very) complete and powerful framework to build applications. That
would be a complete revolution to KDE. I would be disapointed if we allow us
to throw away a chance such like this.

I think that is not possible to stop KDE steps into the Windows world,
independently of our personal taste for OS. I compare this phenomenon to
globalization and liberalization. We just have to identify future risks and
be prepared to minimize them.
Though, I'm not for porting all the KDE environment to Windows. I'm talking
about the development tools only (kdelibs, designer, kdevelop, quanta, etc).
I think there should be an official commitment with this goal.
Of course, if someone wants to port their individual applications or anything
else we, as a comunnity that is all about freedom, shouldn't be against it
and let things progress.

--
Paulo Moura Guedes

Linux Caixa Mágica  - http://caixamagica.org