List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Luke-Jr <luke-jr () utopios ! org>
Date:       2005-02-09 0:24:20

Recently, I began moving my grandmother-in-law to KDE/GNU/Linux from Windows
XP. One of the issues I encountered is that I would be forced to set her up
using Thunderbird for email so I can guarantee cross-platform access to the
same mailbox (on a FAT32 "CrossOS" partition). I prefer KMail over
Thunderbird quite a bit, but I cannot be sure that KMail would use the exact
same format as another mail program on Windows, so it's not an option at this
time.
If KMail were to be ported to Windows, this suddenly becomes possible. Similar
with other applications, get Windows-addicts to switch from ProprietaryAppX
to KDEReplacementX one by one, and once they are using only KDE apps, then
you can easilly make the move to a full KDE/GNU/Linux system. Why not keep
Windows with the same KDE interface? Viruses, for one. As long as GNU/Linux
is a technically superior platform, I don't see that it needs any "killer
apps", but that it simply needs to have the ones that people would be using
anyway. Get people to use cross-platform apps, and that problem goes away.
--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios