List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
Date:       2005-02-08 23:49:45

On Monday 07 February 2005 20:16, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> simply believing that putting apps on win32 that also run on Free OSes will
> somehow in itself lead to migration to Free OSes is exactly the sort of
> naivety i'm trying to get people to re-examine.

Most people I know that I have spoken to about their change to
Firefox/Thunderbird/Gimp/Openoffice on Windows, from
IE/Outlook/Photoshop/Office on Windows have had their first question be (when
speaking of Linux): "Do those run on Linux?"

Trying to predict the future and endlessly saying what "It's all about" is
fun, and honestly, it's great to go back and forth on this one, but if people
are willing to put in the time to port/polish (car terms) good open-source
apps onto Windows, I guess only time will tell if it helps migration away from
Windows. Any of this long-winded bandying about is nice, but since neither
opinion is so obviously right that 99% of people think one way, then I guess
time will be the only true determining factor.