List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2005-02-08 0:03:27

On Monday 07 February 2005 7:36 pm, Richard Smith wrote:
> You've totally missed the point. If KDE were to provide a feature complete
> Exchange client (we're well on the way) and the ability to read and write
> MS Word documents (we're much further from this, but OpenOffice.org helps),
> I could switch.

Of course - this is because it is an enabling application. I said this above.

> At that point in time (which I hope will be soon), if KDE were still
> unavailable for Windows, I probably would switch away from Windows. If KDE
> were available for Windows, I probably wouldn't. I don't think I can make
> it any clearer than that.

You may make that choice, true. But now that the enabling aplication is
available on Linux, your barriers to entry have been removed, and 8that* is
the important point in this paragraph - not the fact that the app also runs
on Windows.

If you only care about SomeImportantApplication, and SomeImportantApplication
is available (and supported by a reputable firm) on both Windows and Linux,
the next time you (as a CTO) need to make your purchase orders, what possible
logic could you have to justify the huge Windows purchase cost?

These enabling applications that Linux is lacking are what keep people on
Windows. It is *not* because they 'like' the OS. People (especially
companies) in general do not *care* about the OS - they care about the
applications that run on it.

--
If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by.