List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-07 23:59:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 07 February 2005 04:11, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> Users and companies don't care what OS the applications run on - as long as
> they have the applications, the OS could for the most part be swapped out
> right from under them and they woudln't notice or care, as long as the
> applications did their job.

exactly. but you have to complete the circle of logic to see the potential for
bad things to occur.

if 95%+ stay on windows because the apps are there we're screwed in the long
run. we NEED a good portion of people on non-Windows platforms to keep the
market open (read: open standards and development environments that work for
us).

by "good portion of people" i mean something in the order of 15% market share
before we can start to proclaim we have a safe harbour and an attractive
proposition for ISVs. it's all about volume.

so if porting to win32 results in wooing good numbers win32 geeks to start
developing and/or polishing open source software that (also) runs on Free
platforms, or if this leverages large bodies of users over to Free platforms,
we're all good. the danger lies in deciding that we don't care if the
overwhelming majority of the desktop world runs on a base software stack
(kernel -> native libs) that is openly hostile to Open Source developers.

THAT is the attitude i've been attempting to get people to examine and not
simply gloss over. i've played devil's advocate quite a bit, but i think this
is a very important issue for us to walk into with eyes wide open. done
right, this can result in great things. done wrong, it will eventually
cripple our efforts dramatically.

--
Aaron J. Seigo