List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Christoph Wiesen <chris () deadhand ! com>
Date:       2005-02-07 16:04:09

Am Montag, 7. Februar 2005 16:54 schrieb Jason Keirstead:
> People are not going
> to switch off Explorer as their shell to use Konqueror .KDE is just never
> going to be an enabling technology for Windows, it is not required.
>
> The main thing this is going to benefit, is now KDE fans will be able to
> use the same stellar KDE apps in restrictive office environments as they do
> at their houses.

I really hope so, too. But honestly, I _would_ switch to Konqueror within
Windows. I'm an admin at a medium-sized business and really miss Konqueror at
times in this environment. Though I doubt that it would be an easy task to
port Konqueror and all the necessary kparts, kio-slaves and what not to
windows... but I'm no KDE dev and would love to be proven wrong here :)

Anyway Kontact e.g. (KMail, aKregator...) would be a very good app to port
imo. Not all people can or want to switch completely to Linux/*BSD and thus
look for something they can use on Windows as well - today that is
Firefox/Thunderbird/Sunbird and it will be Evolution once it's ported.
KDE users should have the same choice in the future.

Cheers,
Christoph