List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2005-02-07 15:54:03

On Monday 07 February 2005 10:43 am, Christoph Wiesen wrote:
> Trolltech announced[1] today that starting with QT 4.0 the Windows version
> of the popular toolkit will be available under the GPL - just like the Un*x
> and OS X versions have been before.

This is absolutely awesome.

> Will the GPL version of QT for Windows make KDE/Win32 more likely - and
> will it do more harm than good?

I really think this is FUD. I mean, let's face it - having KDE apps available
on Win32 is not going to change thew world. People are not going to switch
off Explorer as their shell to use Konqueror .KDE is just never going to be
an enabling technology for Windows, it is not required.

The main thing this is going to benefit, is now KDE fans will be able to use
the same stellar KDE apps in restrictive office environments as they do at
their houses.

--
If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by.