List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: persistent slow loading in Konqueror
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2005-01-25 20:43:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Jason Keirstead wrote:
>Why not fall back to IPv4 for sites in the blacklist?

Because it was easier to implement it this way. And we're safeguarding
ourselves: their DNS servers are buggy, so we won't even try talk to
them. Who knows what other bugs they have...

Also note that if any program in a network tries an AAAA lookup for a
buggy name, it could poison that name for everyone using the same
nameserver. There's nothing we can do about it. Luckily, it appears most
of those buggy DNS servers have been fixed.

>Dropping the requests is not going to change the world, it is just going
> to make Konq. appear broken.

If we just bow our heads down and comply with their brokenness, it's never
going to be fixed.

>> If your DNS server is buggy, this DOESN'T solve your problem.
>
>But the other part of the patch ( the hasIPv6() ) takes care of that,
> doesn't it?

Only if you disable IPv6 completely in your machine.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

5. Swa he géanhwearf tó timbran, and hwonne he cóm, lá! Unix cwæð "Hello,
World". Ǽfre ǽghwilc wæs glæd and seo woruld wæs fréo.