List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: persistent slow loading in Konqueror
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2005-01-25 21:20:32

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 4:43 pm, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Because it was easier to implement it this way. And we're safeguarding
> ourselves: their DNS servers are buggy, so we won't even try talk to
> them. Who knows what other bugs they have...

Safeguarding against what? An improper lookup? We are already returning
nothing, can't get much more improper than that.

> Also note that if any program in a network tries an AAAA lookup for a
> buggy name, it could poison that name for everyone using the same
> nameserver. There's nothing we can do about it.

Exactly - there is nothing we can do about it. Why should we be concerned with
their name server software? If it is corrupting their AAAA records, that is
their problem. But, we can do our best to try to resolve the name for the
user.

> If we just bow our heads down and comply with their brokenness, it's never
> going to be fixed.

Thats a pretty self-righous attitude. Maybe their admin just hasn't had time
to update the software. Maybe they can't afford the downtime. Who knows.

Saying that everyone should migrate immediatly is like saying all websites
should instantly adopt XHTML 1.1 compliant pages. It is a pipe dream. Just
like Konq. supports invalid HTML to the extent that it can, we should support
buggy nameservers, if it is reasonable to do so.

> Only if you disable IPv6 completely in your machine.

I don't even have it compiled in my kernel. Never have. Likely never will.

<rant donotreply="true">
Why would anyone need IPv6 on a local lan, or even a corperate WAN? And my ISP
of course isn't using it, what ISP has billions of customers? So, what's the
use? IMO IPv6 is a failed experiment. Not every device in the world needs its
own IP addresss - most shouldn't even be on the public internet, those that
have to can easily use NAT, and have been for years now. Until there is
inter-spatial IP with some other intelligent species, the need for the
address space is very fringe. Sure, IPv6 has a few other advantages, but
nothing substantial.
</rant>

--
If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by.