List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: persistent slow loading in Konqueror
From:       Allen Winter <winter () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-01-25 16:57:51

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 09:24 am, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Jim Philips wrote:
> >I am on KDE 3.4 Beta 1, but this problem has been dogging me the last
> > several versions of KDE. Some popular Web sites are extremely slow to
> > load in Konqueror when compared with Firefox. And this bothers me,
> > because I would much prefer to use Konqueror. Some of the offending
> > sites are:
> >
> >http://www.washingtonpost.com
>
> Problem: washingtonpost loads one ad image from images2.laih.com. That
> hostname is served by a buggy, invalid, broken DNS server.
>
> $ time host images2.laih.com
> images2.laih.com is an alias for p.mii.instacontent.net.
> p.mii.instacontent.net has address 65.216.116.114
>
> real    0m0.026s
> user    0m0.004s
> sys     0m0.003s
> $ time host -t aaaa images2.laih.com
>
> real    0m10.009s
> user    0m0.003s
> sys     0m0.004s
>
> See the difference? They drop AAAA queries. It's invalid, broken and buggy
> behaviour.
>
> Mozilla people were considering adding those known domains to a killfile.
> We were too, but we never got around to implementing it. I don't know if
> they have.
>
> We would simply discard any and every query to those known, broken domains
> until they fixed their DNS servers. The plus side is you would not see
> their ads in your pages.
>
> Note: there are other big sites that would be included in that list.

All I can say is "Wow!".
With KDE_NO_IPV6=true I can now see my favorite banking page
and Konqueror seems so much faster on a few of my other favs.
Firefox works ok on these pages -- and you are saying that they
don't have the killfile implementation??

I gotta believe that doing something to make Konqueror handle
broken IPV6 better would go a long way to keeping users from
switching to Firefox.  I know I had given up on Konqueror because
I need to get to the aforementioned banking pages.  But i like the
Konqueror interface so much better than Firefox -- I'm glad to
be back with Konqi!

Regards,
Allen

--
Let's Keep the Political Talk Out of KDE PLEASE