List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: K-Menu (Expanding Kicker) - Icon Size
From:       Mark Miller <mirell () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-11-30 7:23:38

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:14:04 -0700, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday 29 November 2004 11:52, Mark Miller wrote:

> > > are you the fellow who asked this question in #kde earlier tonight?
> >
> > Yes, and was rather put off that I should obviously learn C++ and read
> > up on the KDE Libraries to be able to do what I believe should be a
> > simple task.
>
> i never suggested you would need to, and i'm not sure why you feel it
> necessary to put those words in my mouth. i told you on irc exactly what was
> available to you when you asked "how do i make my icons not grow to be
> 128x128px"?

You didn't. Someone else did. You mentioned that right before I left.

> > (Apparently for some people, things haven't changed
> > [http://www.linuxandmain.com/news/raymond.html])
>
> wow. not only do you pull up ancient tripe, but you feel the need to yoink it
> in my direction. while asking a user question on a -devel list. after i gave
> you a perfectly fine answer. twice. that is just lame; really, really lame.

Yes, because the question I asked previously on the KDE User Mailing
List was unfruitful, and apparently Cathy Raymond emailed the KOffice
Development mailing list about such items. When has such a policy
about mailing a developer-related list about features that should be
existant in the design but are apparently not become lame?

> > > if so, i
> > > believe i told you that you can set ConserveSpace=true to get smaller
> > > icon buttons in CVS HEAD / 3.4. if not, well, there's your answer =)
> >
> > So it's only available in CVS HEAD 3.4. Currently I am running 3.3.1.
> > Is there no planned 3.3.2?
>
> yes, there is a planned 3.3.2, but i don't believe that particular change was
> backported. personally, i've been busy getting kicker ready for 3.4, and
> that's consuming all my hacking time. this leaves you with the options of
> waiting for 3.4, moving to using KDE from CVS, or

I will have to move to KDE on CVS, then.

> > How does multiple panels help one read the title that is in the
> > taskbar when it is on the left of the screen? That would defeat the
> > entire purpose.
>
> you can have one panel autoexpanding that has just your taskbar, and another
> that has your buttons, on the same side of the screen if you wish. this is
> one possible workaround until 3.4 comes out which will give you something
> closer to what you want. i was trying to be _helpful_.

I thank you for that. I wasn't trying to direct my ire at you.

But this still does not allow me to read the titles in the taskbar.

Let's say for instance this was Windows. You would put the taskbar on
the left side of the screen, click the edge, and drag. Voila. You can
read the long web site titles in your copies of Firefox.

This is a perfectly intuitive user interface when it comes to the
taskbar. While I am not saying that KDE should copy Windows all the
way (Heaven Forbid), I feel that this was a perfectly good interface.

> > And I am not sure what you mean by 2-Dimensional layout of buttons. I
> > just want to have the Kicker expand to 256 pixels wide.
>
> actually you said:
>
> > 2) I don't want K-Menu and other Icons to be "Large" size
>
> and that was the part i was answering. as for how to make a panel larger than
> 128px
>
> if you want a panel > 128, this has also been fixed in CVS, but is a really
> simple one to do: open the file `kde-config
> --prefix`/share/apps/kicker/extensions/childpanelextension.desktop and change
> the X-KDE-PanelExt-CustomSizeMax=128 entry X-KDE-PanelExt-CustomSizeMax=256
> (or whatever you want)
>
> this will only affect "child panels" in 3.3 and prior, and all panels in 3.4
> (where the .desktop file has already been modified).

Thank you.

> Aaron J. Seigo

Mark A. Miller
mark@mirell.org