List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: K-Menu (Expanding Kicker) - Icon Size
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-11-30 7:14:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 29 November 2004 11:52, Mark Miller wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:40:53 -0700, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> > On Monday 29 November 2004 09:39, Mark Miller wrote:
> > > I have the Kicker on the left side of the screen.
> > >
> > > 1) I want to expand it beyond 128 pixels
> > > 2) I don't want K-Menu and other Icons to be "Large" size
> >
> > are you the fellow who asked this question in #kde earlier tonight?
>
> Yes, and was rather put off that I should obviously learn C++ and read
> up on the KDE Libraries to be able to do what I believe should be a
> simple task.

i never suggested you would need to, and i'm not sure why you feel it
necessary to put those words in my mouth. i told you on irc exactly what was
available to you when you asked "how do i make my icons not grow to be
128x128px"?

> (Apparently for some people, things haven't changed
> [http://www.linuxandmain.com/news/raymond.html])

wow. not only do you pull up ancient tripe, but you feel the need to yoink it
in my direction. while asking a user question on a -devel list. after i gave
you a perfectly fine answer. twice. that is just lame; really, really lame.

> > if so, i
> > believe i told you that you can set ConserveSpace=true to get smaller
> > icon buttons in CVS HEAD / 3.4. if not, well, there's your answer =)
>
> So it's only available in CVS HEAD 3.4. Currently I am running 3.3.1.
> Is there no planned 3.3.2?

yes, there is a planned 3.3.2, but i don't believe that particular change was
backported. personally, i've been busy getting kicker ready for 3.4, and
that's consuming all my hacking time. this leaves you with the options of
waiting for 3.4, moving to using KDE from CVS, or

> How does multiple panels help one read the title that is in the
> taskbar when it is on the left of the screen? That would defeat the
> entire purpose.

you can have one panel autoexpanding that has just your taskbar, and another
that has your buttons, on the same side of the screen if you wish. this is
one possible workaround until 3.4 comes out which will give you something
closer to what you want. i was trying to be _helpful_.

actually you said:

> 2) I don't want K-Menu and other Icons to be "Large" size

and that was the part i was answering. as for how to make a panel larger than
128px

if you want a panel > 128, this has also been fixed in CVS, but is a really
simple one to do: open the file `kde-config
--prefix`/share/apps/kicker/extensions/childpanelextension.desktop and change
the X-KDE-PanelExt-CustomSizeMax=128 entry X-KDE-PanelExt-CustomSizeMax=256
(or whatever you want)

this will only affect "child panels" in 3.3 and prior, and all panels in 3.4
(where the .desktop file has already been modified).

--
Aaron J. Seigo