List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Sending mail from KDE applications
From:       Ulrich Heinen <ulrich.heinen () arcor ! de>
Date:       2004-11-02 21:10:40

Am Donnerstag, 28. Oktober 2004 20:25 schrieb Richard Lärkäng:
> [...]
> Hi!
>
> The smtp ioslave is probably the way to go, you create an url like:
> smtp://smtpserver:port/send?to=toaddress&subject=mysubject&from=fromaddress
> and send it with kio, how you do it depends on if you want it async or sync
> etc.
>
> You could check out kdemultimedia/libkcddb/*smtpsubmit.* for some examples
> of how it's used.
>
> To get the email-address and smtp-server you can use KEmailSettings,
> although there were some talk about removing the setting for the
> smtp-server from it, don't know how it will be. Otherwise I guess you could
> also check in the kmail config-file or just add a setting in your own app.
>
> Richard Lärkäng

Thanks for the hint - that looks very promising! In the meantime I've also
stumbled over ksendbugmail which could in principle be abused for the job,
although I'd certainly not advocate such use - the smtp solution looks much
cleaner. A potential problem (for me) could be that in this case attachments
must be embedded manually in the body of the mail, which likely requires a
base64 encoding step and correct embedding. Maybe I'll need to have a look at
the respective bits in kmail.

Best regards,

Ulrich Heinen