List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Sending mail from KDE applications
From:       Richard =?iso-8859-1?q?L=E4rk=E4ng?= <nouseforaname () home ! se>
Date:       2004-10-28 18:25:44

On Monday 25 October 2004 22.23, Ulrich Heinen wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> is there a simple way to send an email from within a KDE application with
> the user's mail settings without popping up a composer dialog (No, I'm not
> working on a virus or trojan horse, the idea is to automatically send
> application log files to an administrator)? The "official" API seems to
> support only composer invokation, but I've noted some promising dcop calls
> in kmail: KMailTransportServiceIface/sendMessage (however, this means that
> one has to launch kmail silently). Or is there a way to retrieve the user's
> mail settings from kcontrol (other than directly reading out the
> appropriate kconfig) and push the mail over the smtp ioslave? Would that
> require manual formatting of the message?

Hi!

The smtp ioslave is probably the way to go, you create an url like:
smtp://smtpserver:port/send?to=toaddress&subject=mysubject&from=fromaddress
and send it with kio, how you do it depends on if you want it async or sync
etc.

You could check out kdemultimedia/libkcddb/*smtpsubmit.* for some examples of
how it's used.

To get the email-address and smtp-server you can use KEmailSettings, although
there were some talk about removing the setting for the smtp-server from it,
don't know how it will be. Otherwise I guess you could also check in the
kmail config-file or just add a setting in your own app.

Richard Lärkäng