List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Updating a Makefile.am
From:       Alejandro Exojo <suy () kurly ! org>
Date:       2004-10-29 16:34:31

Hi.

I've been always using kdevelop for helping me in the creation and management
of Makefile.am's. Now, I've been reading the Makefile.am howto (thanks David)
and the automake manual, but I still have some doubts:

a) KDevelop, when adding a new class, adds the source file to _SOURCES, of
course, but the header is added in noinst_HEADERS. Both the howto, and the
manual, say that they should be added to AM_CPPFLAGS (indeed, they are
because $(all_includes) ). It's a minor bug in KDevelop, or it acts this way
because a justified reason?

b) I've seen some applications that appear in Lost & Found. I see that they
have in common installing the desktop file in $(kde_appsdir)/Applications/,
which happens to be $(prefix)/share/applnk/Applications, and which was the
default in some KDevelop 2 template.

Should this applications be upgraded? Or upgrading to the new xdg_apps_DATA
means that they will not be compatible with old KDE releases? Because I found
this in k3b's code:

# TODO: enable when we go KDE 3.2
#xdg_apps_DATA = k3b.desktop
# remove the following then
appsdir = $(kde_appsdir)/Multimedia
apps_DATA = k3b.desktop

What I don't understand is that k3b appears OK in my Multimedia menu, so, is
there a way of being both backwards and forward compatible?

c) And the last one, I promise :-). Those Makefile.am's that KDevelop 2
generated, include the "install-data-local" and "uninstall-local" targets to
install icons and desktop files. If a package uses _DATA and _ICONS, should
these targets be removed?

Thanks a lot in advance. ;-)

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2