List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Set window position and size of from kwin managed windows
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2004-10-29 11:38:45

On Thursday 28 of October 2004 20:25, Sascha Hlusiak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I write an kwin window decoration theme and I want my decoration to be
> able to set the position and size of a window. I know the Window ID (as
> well as the frame and wrapper containers, used by kwin).
>
> How can I set the position in a clean way? Every try of XMoveWindow
> seemed to confuse kwin a lot, which is in fact responsible for the
> window positions itself.
>
> Also when I try to activate a window to give him focus, kwin holds this
> back, because of the "prevent focus stealing" setting. How can I bypass
> this?
>
> Because my app is a decoration, is there a way to access kwin from
> within my decoration and tell it to move windows, where I want them to?

 The only way to talk to the KWin core is using the decorations API.

> Is it even possible?

 It of course is, a decoration is running as a part of KWin, it's just that
the decorations API doesn't provide this functionality. I could add new calls
to the API for KDE3.4 if there would be a good reason, but for that I'd first
need the good reason.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer