List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DNS based service discovery
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-10-29 10:51:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

>> 3) original: fußball.local
>> lowercased: fußball.local
>> case-folded: fussball.local
>> ACE-encoded: fussball.local
>> (the same thing would happen for ſs -> ss)
>
>Well, just checked and 'fussball.local.' didn't match.

I think it should. Our code makes it mandatory that it does -- because it'll
never ask for "fußball.local" to be resolved. If you go in Konqueror and
type that, it'll be transformed into "fussball.local" before any resolver
function -- KResolver or otherwise -- is called.

(If you compiled KDE with IDN support)

>Note that also DNS-SD specification makes UTF-8 encoding mandatory for
> service names, no matter if it uses mDNS or uDNS. But it probably is only
>  matter of adding new flag to KResolver to prevent it from IDN encoding.

There are basically two steps in IDNA:
-> nameprep
-> ACE encoding

The first is the case folding, basically: uppercase into lowercase and some
additional folding. According to the RFC, ß -> ss is not even additional
folding: it's considered case folding.

IMO, it stays and mDNS obeys it.

ACE encoding is the rendering of Unicode strings into ASCII Compatible
Encoding (hence, ACE). That one won't be necessary in mDNS, since it can
handle UTF-8 just fine.

I'll contact the person who introduced IDN to us and ask if they have any
news on that area.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info