List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Byte order conversions
From:       Szombathelyi_György <gyurco () freemail ! hu>
Date:       2004-10-29 8:51:02

Richard Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thursday 28 October 2004 08:00, Szombathelyi György wrote:
>
>>Richard Smith wrote:
>>
>>>The KBE2ME_nn macros and the like could just as well be inline functions.
>>>That'd be better for debugging; you'd be able to call them from gdb, and
>>>step into them. I personally would prefer more readable/obvious
>>>function/macro names.
>>
>>I hope these functions doesn't need any debugging.
>

> It's confusing to be debugging and find something that looks like a function
> call takes you somewhere with a different name. Macros are strongly
> discouraged in C++ anyway.

For simple things they're useful.

>>In contrast I don't want names like KBigEndianToMachineEndian. Personal
>>taste, I think.
>

> Sure. But when reading other people's code, I'd rather see
>   Q_INT32 x = kFromBigEndian( bigEndianInt );
> than
>   Q_INT32 x = KBE2ME_32( bigEndianInt );
>
> The former is readable, the latter requires you to look up what KBE2ME_32 is
> if you've not seen it before, or don't remember, or whatever.
>

>>Actually I took the function names from MPlayer's own bswap.h and
>>prefixed them with 'K'.
>

> Oh. Is the code LGPL-compatible? If not, it can't go in kdelibs/kdecore.

It contains code from GLIBC, which is LGPL, and also I don't know that
some very simple macro definitions are really causes license problems.
But if I change names, and drop macros in favour of some inline
functions, these issues should gone.

>>>I'd prefer more verbose names. And making them static will result in huge
>>>bloat if the compiler decides to make out-of-line copies (eg for
>>>debugging purposes).
>>
>>These functions are so small, is that really matters?
>

> Well, not much, but the 'static' is gaining nothing and may be costing some
> disk space for every file that includes them.

And if they're not static and not inlined, won't they show up on the
symbol table of the binary?

P.S: Please post any reply to kde-core-devel@kde.org, I posted the code
there for inclusion in kdelibs.
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=109894770108715&w=2