List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Strange key repetition rate.
From:       Jonas Widarsson <jonas.widarsson () home ! se>
Date:       2004-10-29 8:21:42

I just noticed a funny key repetition behavior in KDE.
All my keyboard settings are set as fast as possible,
delay 250 msec
rep	50 /s.

It says so both in the kde peripheral->keyboard setting dialog and
in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Here it is:
Regardless of X application, KDE or not, the keys repeat slower than that.
if I press one arrow key and it starts repeating through this text I am
typing, there is a certain repetition speed. BUT with KDE, if I (while holding
down the arrow key) press and release CTRL or ALT or ALTGR or SHIFT and keep
the arrow key pressed, it starts repeating a LOT faster!  (just as I would
like it to.)

This applies to any character key as well, i.e. jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj. or
444444444444444444444444444444444444444444.

Very funny...

I am using KDE 3.3.0  (not from CVS, but from gentoo ebuilds) and the xorg-x11
6.8.0-r1 ebuild. Can anyone else confirm this behaviour or is my setup
broken?
I realize the bug could very well be in xorg, but I can also confirm that this
does not happen in fvvm or "failsafe". Only in KDE. The other WMs end
repeating if I press one of the CTRL or ALT ... keys.

What do I mean "bug"? Well, it isn't exactly critical, but it should be 50/s
if it says 50/s, and obviously it's possible!

/Jonas

--
tel: +46 271 121 42
tel: +46 271 152 00 (work)