List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Sending mail from KDE applications
From:       Ulrich Heinen <ulrich.heinen () arcor ! de>
Date:       2004-10-25 20:23:56

Hello everybody,

is there a simple way to send an email from within a KDE application with the
user's mail settings without popping up a composer dialog (No, I'm not
working on a virus or trojan horse, the idea is to automatically send
application log files to an administrator)? The "official" API seems to
support only composer invokation, but I've noted some promising dcop calls in
kmail: KMailTransportServiceIface/sendMessage (however, this means that one
has to launch kmail silently). Or is there a way to retrieve the user's mail
settings from kcontrol (other than directly reading out the appropriate
kconfig) and push the mail over the smtp ioslave? Would that require manual
formatting of the message?

Thanks for any hints,

Ulrich