List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KGuiItem Questions
From:       Luke Sandell <ls65594 () appstate ! edu>
Date:       2004-10-27 22:23:30

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 04:58 pm, Frans Englich wrote:
> There was some discussion about merging KStdAction and KStdGuiItem, but I
> don't remember who, when, or how that ended, probably it didn't work out.
> Perhaps something happens in KDE 4, dunno. Someone else perhaps knows
> better.

I searched the API and found no class named KStdAction.  Perhaps you meant to
say merging the functionality of KGuiItem into KAction, which to me seems
like a good idea (and consequently, replacing the awkwardly-named KStdGuiItem
with a KStdAction class).

> I think it would be OK if you submitted patches for that -- std items are
> cheap, and have a good result.

I've considered consider doing that ... it would only take a few minutes.

Another thing that is annoying to the developer is the fact that icon names
are inconsistent. For instance, you have fileopen, editcopy, editpaste, but
then you have undo and redo.  Of course, if you are using KStdGuiItem that
doesn't matter.

Luke Sandell