List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kio-locate
From:       Bernd Brandstetter <bbrand () freenet ! de>
Date:       2004-10-27 17:02:20

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 03:03, Michael Pyne wrote:
> Well *I* think kio-locate kicks mucho ass... but I agree with coolo that
> it wouldn't really make a good fit for a default KDE install, since it's
> apparently unlikely that a system is going to end up with locate (or
> slocate) and a cron job to run updatedb.

I'd also consider a kio-locate really useful. What's the problem with
systems not having locate installed? Either the configure script could
check if locate is available and otherwise exclude kio-locate from
compilation, or the kioslave should give an error message when it can't
find locate. KDE already has lots of kioslaves which require other
applications/libraries/hardware to work: smb, ldap, mac, vnc, ...
I did not look at the given link, but I suppose that kio-locate has a
rather small footprint, so it won't dramatically increase the package
size.

Regards,
Bernd