List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Linux/BSD distribution
From:       Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero () arklinux ! org>
Date:       2004-10-26 14:00:56

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 15:14, N. Thompson wrote:
> I didn't like Yoper, like many of the current KDE based distributions
> they've modified KDE in such a way as to have their icon show up instead of
> the KDE icon and last time I used their distribution they had few packages
> available.

Ark Linux doesn't - so again you're welcome to join our effort.

> Not being specific to Yoper here but it seems the majority of distributions
> tend to modify the KDE menu layout to make their distribution incompatible
> with otherwise perfectly good RPMs and often they also mess up the default
> icon theme or do the best they can to make sure their own icons don't ever
> get replaced with the ones that should be there when you change icon
> themes.

We don't - we just make a couple of adjustments without breaking
installations.

> Also what I had in mind was a distribution that would try to have
> the latest and greatest KDE out as soon as all the bugs were ironed out but
> wouldn't do a rush job, bug testing is a key issue and most distributions
> forget all about that, most distributions also don't go out of their way to
> update KDE when an updated version is available.

We do - we've had KDE 3.3.1 3 days after it was released (using the 3 days,
and a couple of CVS snapshots before 3.3.1, for testing).

> Again another thing I
> think a lot of distributions are doing wrong is making their own control
> panel applications rather then building modules for the already existing
> KDE Control Centre, I think its a waste to do that and it would be
> confusing to the user.

We're guilty of that too, because our main target is replacing Windoze XP and
we want to give users something that looks familiar to them.

> own distribution from scratch, I was thinking about this last night and
> personally all I think we really need to do is find a way to install
> another great distribution, change the software to what we want and update
> the KDE to the latest version then learn how to make packages for it,
> include all the best KDE software, remove all the unnecessary Gnome
> components and make it installable by CD.

That's pretty much what we did -- Ark Linux includes only the gnome libs
required to run gimp, nothing else. We consider gtk an atrocity coding-wise,
and kick anything that uses it unless there's absolutely no good replacement
(gimp).

> No distribution I can think of
> includes great KDE software, tweaks from KDE-look.org and other stable
> enhancements and software that hasn't made it into the official KDE branch
> yet.

We do. Maybe not enough (due to lack of developers -- feel free to add
anything you like), but we're doing our best.

LLaP
bero