List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Linux/BSD distribution
From:       Jonas Widarsson <jonas.widarsson () home ! se>
Date:       2004-10-26 13:55:43

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 13.27, Simone Gotti wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 October 2004 15:14, N. Thompson wrote:
> > I didn't like Yoper, like many of the current KDE based distributions
> > [...]
> > enhancements and software that hasn't made it into the official KDE
> > branch yet.
>
> You have described gentoo...
>
> Bye!
I use gentoo linux for everything now.
It is perfectly flexible for a "power user".
 (Which linux user aren't after a while?...)

Someone might complain about complexity when installing gentoo, but I believe
the nature of linux demands such flexibility.

It is not possible to streamline a project like KDE or a general linux
distribution for "ease of use" without tampering with the flexibility
originally offered. Then we (probably) always end up with hard to maintain
branches of the original projects.

The sources of all these projects are often very flexible, which is why the
gentoo model probably is least in your way. The open fashion of open source
makes streamlining a limit.

So, to provide linux for linux newbies, or KDE for KDE newbies, the best way
is to just let them start reading and gain some knowledge.

But go ahead, you... Noone will stop you. Just try Gentoo first.
http://www.gentoo.org/

(Note:	Eh... I don't know much about slackware...)
(Note2:	I don't believe a platform is very complete with only KDE installed.)

/Jonas
--
tel: +46 271 121 42
tel: +46 271 152 00 (work)