List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Linux/BSD distribution
From:       "Sylvain \"Skarsnik\" Colinet" <scolinet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-10-26 14:21:01

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:47:53 +0000, Jonas Widarsson
<jonas.widarsson@home.se> wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 October 2004 13.27, Simone Gotti wrote:
> > On Tuesday 26 October 2004 15:14, N. Thompson wrote:
> > > I didn't like Yoper, like many of the current KDE based distributions
> > > [...]
> > > enhancements and software that hasn't made it into the official KDE
> > > branch yet.
> >
> > You have described gentoo...
> >
> > Bye!
> I use gentoo linux for everything now.
> It is perfectly flexible for a "power user".
> (Which linux user aren't after a while?...)
>
> Someone might complain about complexity when installing gentoo, but I believe
> the nature of linux demands such flexibility.
>
> It is not possible to streamline a project like KDE or a general linux
> distribution for "ease of use" without tampering with the flexibility
> originally offered. Then we (probably) always end up with hard to maintain
> branches of the original projects.
>
> The sources of all these projects are often very flexible, which is why the
> gentoo model probably is least in your way. The open fashion of open source
> makes streamlining a limit.
>
> So, to provide linux for linux newbies, or KDE for KDE newbies, the best way
> is to just let them start reading and gain some knowledge.
>
> But go ahead, you... Noone will stop you. Just try Gentoo first.
> http://www.gentoo.org/
>
> (Note:  Eh... I don't know much about slackware...)
> (Note2: I don't believe a platform is very complete with only KDE installed.)

I try gentoo on my ibook. Damed !, need near 2 days for compiling kde
environement, so when I update a month later, 3 days for the entire
system.
I thinks it's not a good distribution for users, newbies or not
--
Sylvain "Skarsnik" Colinet

Victory was near but the power of the ring couldn't be undone