List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Linux/BSD distribution
From:       Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero () arklinux ! org>
Date:       2004-10-26 11:26:42

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 08:15, N. Thompson wrote:
> I'm just tossing around this idea I've had for a long time, I've always
> wanted a distribution that focused all of its attention on making the best
> KDE desktop available with the latest version and all the cool
> enhancements.

Hi,
that's just what we've been doing for the last 2 years over at
http://www.arklinux.org/ -- I think we have a pretty good start for just what
you're suggesting, we just failed to pick up any attention so far.

You (and anyone else) are more than welcome to join our team.

If you wish to give it a try, please use the current development iso
(dockyard-devel), the latest stable release is a bit outdated.

> Such a
> distribution should focus mostly on KDE while having some good
> configuration tools and it should have the latest stable KDE build with all
> the cool enhancements that are stable and should only come with unnecessary
> non-kde apps on an extra CD which could contain stuff such as OpenOffice,
> the Gimp and Inkscape.

We include OpenOffice and gimp on the main CD because they're important
functionality and there's no real KDE alternative (KOffice is great, but
still problematic if coworkers keep sending you M$ documents) - however,
we've "fixed" them to at least look like KDE applications (using the KDE
native widget support for OpenOffice and the gtk-qt-engine for gimp).

LLaP
bero