List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Linux/BSD distribution
From:       "N. Thompson" <n.thomp () sasktel ! net>
Date:       2004-10-26 13:14:17

I didn't like Yoper, like many of the current KDE based distributions they've
modified KDE in such a way as to have their icon show up instead of the KDE
icon and last time I used their distribution they had few packages available.

Not being specific to Yoper here but it seems the majority of distributions
tend to modify the KDE menu layout to make their distribution incompatible
with otherwise perfectly good RPMs and often they also mess up the default
icon theme or do the best they can to make sure their own icons don't ever
get replaced with the ones that should be there when you change icon themes.
Also what I had in mind was a distribution that would try to have the latest
and greatest KDE out as soon as all the bugs were ironed out but wouldn't do
a rush job, bug testing is a key issue and most distributions forget all
about that, most distributions also don't go out of their way to update KDE
when an updated version is available. Again another thing I think a lot of
distributions are doing wrong is making their own control panel applications
rather then building modules for the already existing KDE Control Centre, I
think its a waste to do that and it would be confusing to the user.

distribution from scratch, I was thinking about this last night and
personally all I think we really need to do is find a way to install another
great distribution, change the software to what we want and update the KDE to
the latest version then learn how to make packages for it, include all the
best KDE software, remove all the unnecessary Gnome components and make it
installable by CD. No distribution I can think of includes great KDE
software, tweaks from KDE-look.org and other stable enhancements and software
that hasn't made it into the official KDE branch yet.