List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Linux/BSD distribution
From:       Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock () gmx ! net>
Date:       2004-10-26 10:47:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday, 26. October 2004 08:15, N. Thompson wrote:
> I'm just tossing around this idea I've had for a long time, I've always
> wanted a distribution that focused all of its attention on making the best
> KDE desktop available with the latest version and all the cool
> enhancements. Most distributions today try to include both KDE and Gnome or
> just Gnome and as such KDE often gets less attention then it needs during
> the development process and winds up having more bugs left in it then the
> other DE.

FreeBSD has no policy or preference regarding desktop environments whatsoever.

FreeBSD releases have shipped both KDE and GNOME on CD1 for some time now (but
both not in full size, due to CD space constrictions). The KDE and GNOME
ports on FreeBSD are maintained by separate teams and development is only
coordinated when needed, otherwise both teams work on their own schedule.

The KDE/FreeBSD team is dedicated to bring authentic ports of KDE as released
by its developers (no OS promotion/'corporate identity' slapped on, although
we might manage to make our own splash screen at some point ;-), and as soon
as released by its developers, which follows a good tradition of the FreeBSD
ports collection. If anybody thinks KDE needs to be more shiny and
whizbang-automagic-cool, help making it more so by default. :)

--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org